Friday, July 8, 2011

Travel Food


Halli Hallo, yes, that's a very delicious pic, oder? One of my favourite things about travel is encountering the foods of a different place or culture. Even the simple task of supermarket shopping becomes full of wonder and excitement.  I always want to try everything. I'll be posting later on Sanaworld about how I do this without letting my ass get enormous.

Some of my most loved foodie things about this part of the world are: pastries (as above) and bread - things which do not feature heavily in my regular life. The variety in the Liechtenstein-Switzerland area is astounding and they are fresh baked every day in the Bäkerei and most supermarkets.  With the bread particularly, there is a treasure chest of organic and wheat-free varieties, as well as traditionally fermented. I was musing over Dunkelbrot (mm.. I wonder what this one is made of..?), when Miss J grabbed it from my hand, placed it in the trolley and said 'that means dark bread, you will like it, can we go now?' I believe I may have been loitering past the patience level of a 5-and-a-half year old.

Other favourites I have become reacquainted with this week:

90% Lindt. You just can't get this in NZ. I will be bringing a bunch of it home with me, including some for a Sanaworld blog giveaway.

Bircher Muesli in a pot:
Organic yogurts and quark. You can get organic yogurt in NZ, but the selection is limited. Cherry is oh-so-yum. Organic quark is not something I have seen in my homeland at all. Even getting non-organic quark is a little difficult sometimes:

I also found coloured eggs, which I've never seen before. They are pre-hardboiled, for picnics in the alps and so on.

I was also once again awed by the processed meats selection. This photo represents about 1/4 of the chilled area devoted to all things salami, prosciutto and kaiserfleish in the local Coop. Meats and cheeses are a very big deal in this region, far more so than I ever noticed in other parts of Europe.

The local sodium consumption must be off the charts.

Today my plans include walking the Kulturweg, which takes in the arty parts of Schaan, which is the most populated town in Liechtenstein and, according to tourismus.li, the most cultured. I'm sure today will also contain quite a bit of German language cartoon watching, bike riding, food cooking and caffe trinken in the sun. Can't complain... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...